Lee's Summit Divorce Lawyer
Independence Property Division Attorney
Statistics show that a divorce can be one of the most stressful events that occurs in a person's lifetime. However, having the right attorney can make the event less stressful. The right attorney — one who is experienced, knowledgeable and compassionate — can guide you through the divorce process while protecting your interests to help achieve the best possible results.
At the Law Offices of Gerald W. Furnell, LLC, we use years of experience to guide clients through the divorce process. Our Kansas City law firm is dedicated to representing people throughout Missouri who are considering a divorce or who have been served with divorce papers. We know that divorces can bring many difficult decisions, and our focus is on helping you make these decisions in a way that is best for you now and far into the future.
Each divorce is different. Depending on your personal situation, you may need to resolve matters of child custody and visitation, child support, spousal support (alimony) and division of property and debts. These can be highly confusing. Attorney Gerald Wayne Furnell starts by talking with you about your situation and goals. He will sit down with you, answer your questions and discuss the outcome of cases similar to yours. Together, you can decide on the best course of action and pursue that course.
- Missouri property division: Our state divides marital property and debt equitably, which often means 50/50. If there is wrongdoing by one party or if one party added more debt to the marriage without the other's consent, courts usually take these factors into account when determining what is fair.
- Child custody and parenting time (visitation): Courts make child custody decisions based on the best interests of the child. Missouri court starts with the premise that each parent should be as involved in the child's life as he or she can be, and that awarding joint legal custody and joint physical custody helps promote optimum parental involvement. This is not always the case, however, especially when issues of domestic violence or drug or alcohol abuse are present.
- Child support: Missouri child support guidelines are used by judges to determine the amount of child support to be paid. Parties can agree on more or less, depending on their needs.
- Alimony (spousal support): Alimony is not uncommon in Missouri, but if it is ordered at all, it is generally ordered for limited time while a spouse prepares to rejoin the workforce.
Our Kansas City area law firm also handles a wide range of family law matters that can affect individuals and families before, after or during a divorce. These include the matters listed below:
- Modification of existing court orders/contempt of court (modifying divorce decrees and child custody plans)
- Paternity and child custody
- Adoptions (stepparent adoptions, grandparent adoptions)
- Prenuptial agreements (drafting and review)
- Powers of attorney
- Fathers' rights
- Enforcement of child support orders against "deadbeat dads"
- Grandparents' rights
Please visit our Resources page for links to Circuit Court forms related to divorce, modification of existing court orders, paternity or child custody.
Contact a Lee's Summit Divorce Attorney
If divorce has become a possibility in your life, it is critical to speak with an attorney as quickly as possible. Decisions made now — even temporary ones — can have a significant effect on the outcome of your divorce. Because courts look at what is in the best interests of children when deciding matters of child custody and a spouse's standard of living when deciding alimony, it is critical to work with a family law attorney who advocates forcefully for you from day one.
To schedule a free and confidential consultation with an experienced lawyer and forceful advocate, contact the Law Offices of Gerald W. Furnell, LLC, at 816-554-3311.
Office Contact Information
Lee's Summit Office Location
108 SE Eastridge St
Lee's Summit, MO 64063
Sedalia Office Location
501 South Ohio suite 200
Sedalia, MO 65301